All of your questions regarding microneedling in one mini guide.
Microneedling is gaining popularity as a skin treatment for improving the appearance of scars, fine lines, wrinkles, pigment and melasma, and large pores. It is also used to improve skin lines and laxity. Overall, our patients are seeing impressive results with microneedling, and with good reason. Learn more about the benefits of microneedling.
We want to give you a little guide into what Microneedling is, exactly, and why it is important to seek a skincare expert for advice and treatment.
At LiveYoung Medical, we actually refer to microneedling as “Microneedling CIT.” This is a more accurate term for the treatment itself with CIT being short for Collagen Induction Therapy.
How Does Microneedling CIT Work?
Tiny needles are directly inserted into the skin via an electronically-powered device, causing a series of microchannels within the skin. This action stimulates the body’s natural wound-healing response, which ultimately causes the release of various growth factors. As this occurs, deep into the layers of the skin, the formation of brand new collagen and elastin is stimulated.
As new collagen and elastin are formed, it improves the overall laxity of the skin, leaving the skin appearing more youthful, and improving the overall appearance.
Microneedling is not just for aged skin, however; It can also be used preventatively to help with premature aging of the skin as well.
What Can I Expect In A Microneedling CIT Treatment?
The entire clinic visit lasts about one hour. On treatment day, please be prepared for the following:
- Prior to beginning your treatment, you will be asked to tie your hair back or wear a hairband and cleanse the skin of the treatment area. A gentle cleanser and washcloths will be provided for you. If it is your very first treatment, clinical photos will be taken beforehand, so that your treatment provider may perform a skin analysis. Your photos become part of your private medical record and are not available for anyone else to see.
- Before starting the procedure, a topical numbing cream will be applied to your skin, to minimize any potential discomfort. Numbing typically takes 30-45 minutes.
- After the numbing agent is removed and your skin is thoroughly cleansed, we will begin the needling process.
- A serum will is used during treatment for glide and for the delivery of active ingredients below the skin surface. The type of serum used depends on your individual skin health needs. Microneedling allows for deep delivery of active ingredients into the skin.
- Immediately post-treatment your skin will be red and may feel a bit tight. This is normal and usually resolves within 48 hours, depending on the depth of treatment.
- As your skin heals, you can expect some light flaking and shedding of the skin. This is completely normal and usually occurs on days 3-5 post-treatment.
Choose Where You Do Microneedling Wisely.
There are two main things to consider when choosing where to get your microneedling treatment:
- A clinic that has highly trained, experienced practitioners performing treatments
- A clinic that utilizes only the best equipment, devices, and products
At Live Young Medical, Dr. Sweeney and Sarita, Clinical Nurse, are both trained specifically in skin assessment and the delivery of therapy involving medical microneedling. This level of qualification sets apart your treatment from one at a spa. Under the guidance of medical professionals, your needling treatment can be deeper - targeting deep pigment, melasma, and old, dysfunctional collagen (think scar tissue). The medical professionals of LiveYoung will be able to provide you with a comprehensive skin analysis and discuss with you in depth your wishes and concerns for treatment.
LiveYoung proudly owns the ACS Pen, a Swiss-made, state of the art device that is backed by over 30 years of science and research. One of the key features of the ACS Pen is its linear (vs. circular) needle design, which allows for minimal tissue damage, higher accuracy, and a more controlled and comfortable treatment.
Note: Microneedling CIT is not typically associated with significant downtime or any potential severe side effects.
At LiveYoung Medical, in Sidney, BC, we are a medical (doctor and nurse) team. You can trust that we will give you the best care and sound advice when it comes to your skin health needs and concerns.
For any questions regarding microneedling, or to book a consultation, please contact us directly.